DAY 3 – What are the consequences of adultery?
A look at Proverbs alone.
Today, the Bible does not recommend any such punishment for adultery. However, the act of adultery carries its own punishment. Sexual sin is an offense committed against one’s own body (1 Corinthians 6:18).
The book of Proverbs warns of the consequences of adultery:
- Loss of honor and strength (Proverbs 5:9–11),
- A ruined reputation (Proverbs 5:14),
- Bondage and death (Proverbs 5:22–23),
- Self-destruction (Proverbs 6:32),
- The vengeance of a jealous husband (Proverbs 6:34).
- “Can a man scoop fire into his lap / without his clothes being burned? / Can a man walk on hot coals / without his feet being scorched? So is he who sleeps with another man’s wife; / no one who touches her will go unpunished” (Proverbs 6:27–29).
The Proverbs also outline the character of the adulterer:
- He is called simple and senseless (Proverbs 7:7)
- and compared to an animal caught in a snare and then slaughtered (Proverbs 7:22–23).
- “A man who commits adultery has no sense; / whoever does so destroys himself” (Proverbs 6:32).
- Finally, the proverb writer comes to this terribly grim conclusion about adultery: “Many are the victims she has brought down; / her slain are a mighty throng. / Her house is a highway to the grave, / leading down to the chambers of death” (Proverbs 7:26–27).
How then are we meant to live?
1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
3 It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4 that each of you should learn to control your own body[a] in a way that is holy and honorable, 5 not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; 6 and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister.[b] The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. 7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8 Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.
- Do I Understand the Consequences of adultery?
- What are the characters of an adulterer?
- How should I live a pure life free of any stain of adultery?